The Pretoriuskop restcamp, located 9km east of Numbi Gate is one of oldest camps in the Park, built in 1928, in the section of the park overseen by one of the Pioneering section rangers, Harry Wolhuter. The camp itself is usually fairly quiet and has a pleasant atmosphere.
The camp gets its name from the nearby hill. There is slight debate as to the exact origin of the name but it is generally accepted that the hill was named after Willem Pretorius, a member of the Karel Trichard voortrekker party to Delgoa Bay who passed through the area in the 1840’s. He was dangerously ill en route to Delgoa Bay and it was decided that he should return to Orighstad for treatment, accompanied by 2 shangaan members of the party. Sadly he died before they arrived, near the hill, and he was buried there by Joao Albasini.